Flying on airplanes can be beautiful and entertaining. Many people find it to be an adventure, and love going on flights. But for some people, flying can be terrifying. Fear of flying, or aviophobia, affects millions of people worldwide. So if that’s you, you’re not alone. And there are ways that you can be helped.
One of these ways is through courses led by professionals like pilots and therapists. British Airways, one of the leading airlines in the world, leads classes that can help you to improve your control over your anxieties and reduce your fear of flying.
Who are British Airways?
British Airways is the most popular airline in the United Kingdom. But on top of flying millions of people safely to and from destinations each year, they also hold courses to help people get over their fear of flying – Flying with Confidence.
Over the past 30 years, more than 50,000 people have taken their courses. And they boast an incredibly high success rate— with 98% of their participants feeling comfortable flying!
About British Airways Courses
The main course is the cheapest option, and the one that the most people choose. It starts around 9 in the morning and is split into three sessions. First, the technical session, going over flying. Then a psychological session, where you speak with mental health professionals that help you understand your fear, and talk through ways of working through it.
Finally, there is the flight. At the end of the day, you go up in the air with a qualified team of flight experts, mental health professionals, and others. They talk you through the flight and help make sure that you remain calm and comfortable.
This is the Primary course. It is a full-day course and is incredibly successful. But there are some other options as well:
- Primary Plus course: this one has all of the same aspects as the Primary course, with one change. It is a much smaller group, with a max size of 10 people. So you get a more personalized experience.
- Premium course: all the same as the Primary course, with two added benefits. One, there is a max group size of just four people, so you can ask all the questions you want. It also includes two flights, not just one.
- Private course: this is a one-on-one course tailored to your needs.
- Children’s course: a half-day course designed for children ages 7-11.
- Teenage course: full-day course designed for those aged 11-17.
- Flight Only course: only in the actual flight portion, this is designed for people who have already taken a course or who are accompanying someone else on the flight.
- Ground Only course: the same presentations and information, but without the flight portion. You can work on your fear without having to leave the ground.
- Online Course – 11 videos that covering all the important principles of flight, pilot skills, turbulence and breathing techniques to get calm during the flight.
Locations of the courses
British Airways fear of flying courses are available at multiple locations. Most of them include the entire spectrum of courses, but it’s always good to check their website to see what is being offered, including location & time
- London Heathrow
The last two on the list, Dubai and Johannesburg, are the only two that do not offer the flight portion of the course. They only offer ground-based options. However, these options can still be very helpful to those who have aviophobia in this area
Pros and cons
- Help to get over your fear of flying, so you can live your life without inhibition. You can travel for work, family, or just pleasure without that crippling fear you’re used to feeling.
- Multiple options, so you can choose the course that is the best one for you. You can have an experience that helps you as much as possible.
- Trained professionals are with you the entire time, so you’ll always feel safe.
- It’s hard to find a downside to this amazing program! But one is that two of the locations don’t offer the flight services, only on-ground.
Clearly, the pros heavily outweigh the cons of this scenario. So if you are looking for a way to manage your fear of flying, British Airways courses are a great option for you.
Bringing it all together
No matter how serious or debilitating your aviophobia is, you know how difficult it can be to live with, especially in today’s world, where travel is such a big part of daily life. So if you need help managing or getting over your fear, then these courses are a great option for you.
You can choose whichever one fits your needs best, so you can get the most out of it. If you try one of these courses, you will certainly be satisfied. You will be able to live your life and travel, without being weak in the knees from fear.